Monday, August 24, 2009

Arriving in San Diego






The start of the trip was easy (except for a small detail -- the Southwest clerk ticketed my bag to phoenix, AZ – luckily I was watching and ripped off the tag… ). I was picked up at the airport by the van owner, a crazy attorney and traffic judge. He drove me around San Diego, convincing me we should come here for vacation. It may be good to do in the post ellie graduation vacation romp next May. It has seaworld, Disney world, the San Diego Zoo, the real world and the beach. We saw Scripps, his home, his cars, his job… I was happy when he let me have the car, and I drove myself to my dump of a motel for the night. I then wandered down to see what was going on, in the little town of …

Oceanside, California ! This is the equivalent of Jacksonville, North Carolina, or Quantico, Virginia -- that is -- alongside a huge Marine Corps base, and is full of soldiers and fast food shops and bars and army surplus stores. But it does have…

The Beach ! I wandered down to the pier, and out towards the sunset in order to look back at the town. Lots of people, surfers in the Pacific, fishermen and women off the pier, and a large restaurant at the end. The sand is not emerald isle quality. Tarry black (I think they must have had an oil spill or something a while ago ). So I went back and got into the car…

The Car ! is absolutely wonderful. It feels like going backwards in time to drive a van that is so tight and quiet and responsive and clean and shiny. Definitely a good buy. I will have it checked out and serviced by the local VW agent tomorrow, prior to the long haul.

The Haul ! I made some reservations, but I can now see they may have to be cancelled. If we can get the paying done by lunchtime, I will head East and see how far I can get – maybe Barstow, maybe Las Vegas (there is the Mohave desert in between, so it is one or the other). We shall see. I am a little put off by Las Vegas, but I looked at motel prices and they are very cheap – as in $ 30 a night ?? there must be something fishy there – maybe you have to throw three sixes in row before they will let you out of your room….

1 comment:

  1. they don't charge you anything so you spend all your dollars at the casinos. duh.

    good thing you ripped the tag off your bag, or you might have had to drive to phoenix in your new wheels.

    ReplyDelete